Did you know that you can naturally achieve that bright and youthful skin that you wanted without using creams and pricey collagens? How? That is by adding Bone Broth into your diet.
When you think about anti-aging and beautifying foods, animal tendons, connective tissues, and bones are most probably not the first thing that will come to your mind. Besides, these are mostly considered as throw away parts.
They may look like scraps, but these parts that are seen as useless actually contains anti-aging nutrients like Collagen, Minerals, Glycerin, Iodine, and many more. Let’s look for more health benefits of this delicious broth.
Anti-Aging Bone Broth
Before we talk about the broth’s health benefits, let us know how it is prepared.
- Use frozen leftover bones or high-quality bones if you want. You can either use turkey, chicken, beef, or lamb You can also use the bones of free-range poultry or pasture-raised cows.
- If you prefer fish bone broth, then you can buy high-quality fish or wild caught ones. A snapper and sole fishes are a good choice.
- Prepare a big pot with lots of water, place the bones in it and add some sea salt. Add in carrots, chopped onions, little garlic, and celery. You can also add bay leaves, herbs, sages, and other spices that can go well with the type of bones that you are using.
- Add a tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar to pull out the nutrients from the bones.
- Boil the broth and then down the heat to simmer, add more water if it’s necessary. For poultry and meat broths, cook it for a minimum of 8 hours to 24 hours. Fish broths will only take about 2 to 3 hours. The softer the bones are, the more it’ll be packed with nutrients.
- After boiling, cool the broth and strain it with a mesh strainer or two layers of cheesecloth.
- Place the broth in glass bowls and put some of them in the fridge.
- As the broth that you placed in the fridge cools, the fats will rise to the top of it. Remove those fats, you can either throw them or use it for cooking.
- The ones that you left out when it starts to cool, the broth will look like a gelatin and becomes wiggly. That is how it is supposed to be.
Why Is It Good for You?
So, what’s so good about this broth? Bone broths are flavorful, helps boost the immune system, can be digested easily, and dense in nutrients
Boiled bones and ligaments releases healing compounds such as proline, glycine, collagen, and glutamine. Not only that, it also contains easy-to-digest minerals like phosphorus, calcium, and magnesium.
The 7 Secret Health Benefits of Bone Broth
Studies have found that bone broth can help improve your health in multiple ways.
1. Build Muscles
The broth contains amino acids that can help stimulate the muscle’s protein synthesis. This synthesis is important for the continuous repair, maintenance, and growth of the body’s muscle group. The amino acids can also help reduce inflammation.
2. Strengthen Bones and Teeth
The broth that contains meat and vegetables or fish contains vitamins and minerals like zinc, magnesium, protein, phosphorus, vitamin D, potassium, calcium, vitamin C, manganese, vitamin K, vitamin A, iron, B vitamins, boron, and copper. All of these are all necessary for the bone’s formation process.
3. Boosts Immunity
Amino acids like cysteine, glutamine, and arginine that can be found in bone broth have been shown that it can help boost the immunity of both humans and animals.
4. Alleviates Cold and Bronchitis
There is a good reason why we eat soups when we have a cold or flu. According to a study in 2000, chicken soups or bone broth do aid the symptoms of cold, by opening the pathways of the respiratory, provides nutrients that are easily digested, and help clears the buildup of mucus.
Additionally, according to Irwin Ziment, a UCLA professor, and medical doctor, said that cysteine resembles a bronchitis drug called “acetylcysteine”.
5. Improves Hydration
Bone broth that are made with vegetables, contains carbohydrates and electrolytes. According to studies, drinking broth can help rehydrate the body much better than just drinking water alone. This is because of the electrolytes.
6. Lose Weight
Another amino acid that can be found in bone broth is L-glutamine, this is an important acid that needed for the gut and body’s health. Studies have shown that L-glutamine can help reduce the gut’s firmicutes and promotes weight loss. Firmicute is a kind of bacteria that extract more calories from food, thus the reason for excess weight gaining.
7. Clearer Skin
Traditional Chinese medicine doctors have explained that our skin is a reflection of our digestive system. Having problems with our GI tract can cause eczema, acne, premature aging, and other conditions of the inflammatory skin.
The collagen that can be found in bone broth can help seal and heal the linings of the intestines that can lead to a leaky gut. It strengthens the gut’s lining and helps prevent skin conditions. The collagen can also reduce inflammation to reduce painful digestive symptoms.
For an addition, you can also gain healthy side-effects from the broth’s gelatin. Here are several of them:
- Stronger and healthier nails
- Improves sleep
- Protects cells
- Joint-pain and arthritis relief
- Normalizes the stomach acid to help relieve gut inflammatories like ulcers and colitis.
- Supports the regulation of insulin and helps alleviate low blood sugar and diabetes.
- Regulates heavy menstruation, bladder hemorrhoids, ulcers, and nosebleeds.
There are more to the health benefits of bone broths, and these are just some of it.
For years, food manufacturers have been trying to sell us with energy drinks, antibiotics, vitamin-based drugs, energy pills, and others that promote better health and improve the body’s athletic performance.
But you no longer have to buy those said products because all the vitamins and minerals that you need can all be found in bone broth.